Thursday, April 30, 2015

What is a taxi stand?

What is a taxi stand?
That's this morning's internet search.

Not because I don't know, but because I'm wondering if my readers would know.

Which leads me to the real question, which is, how much should I explain?

How as a writer can I be sure that my readers, the bulk of them at least, will know and understand the meaning of terms and phrases through surrounding context?

And, which terms and phrases need more explaining within the story?



BTW, if you don't already know, a taxi stand is a designated parking area for cabs to park, usually in a line, waiting for walk-up passengers. These are often found in front of hotels, or nearby in hotel districts, or in front of hospitals, near theaters, in bar districts, etc. They are prominent locations where pedestrians can easily find a taxi when needed so that they don't always have to call and order one, but can often find one already parked at the taxi stand.
These also serve as queue lines for calls as drivers call in to dispatch to say which stand they are in line at and the dispatcher can disperse call in orders based on location of drivers and the order in which they arrived at that location.


AND, if you're paying attention, you just got your first clue to the plot of my next novel...

No comments:

Post a Comment