Friday, February 21, 2014

Baseballs, Broken Windows and Little Boys

I've been perusing some of the my old articles, trying to re-purpose my work. Online publishing is both good and bad; good because my work appears published instantly and that is gratifying, bad because it appears in a mountain of documents created by other writers seeking instant gratification and then it gets lost there.

So, I've started to go back to my first days of blogging and look again at the work that I've done and try to see how I can bring it out of the slush pile and back to life, so to speak. Some of them are a silly, waste of time and I wonder now why I bothered to click Publish. But, others are really excellent and I'm sad that they have been lost in the wasteland.

One of my favorites is a story about the day Ethan threw a baseball through our friends garage window, and then he learned how to fix the damage he'd done. That article memorialized that event for us, and those who've seen it have appreciated it. In fact, it was such a good piece that it has been stolen and copied a few times. Let me tell you, it is weird to see your work with someone else's byline.

But, I read somewhere, "Don't worry about your writing being stolen, worry about writing something worth stealing."

So, since this piece was so popular, I'm giving it a plug here so more of you can see it.

The original text and photos first appeared here on Hubpages.

No comments:

Post a Comment