Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Second Chance: November 28

FYI: I was having a bad day yesterday, so I didn't work on this. If I had, it would have read something like this: "And, then Karin drove off a cliff. The End."

The real story starts here.


Karin didn’t go home. She drove in circles, struggling to see through her tears; gasping for air as she cried uncontrollably. She just kept driving until she ended up north of town on Lakeshore Drive in the dunes. She stopped her car and realized that she was in the same spot that she had brought Jay to see his first shoreline sunset, and then she cried even harder. She wanted to get out and sit on the beach in the dark and listen to the waves hit the shore, but just as she was about to open the door, she saw another car approaching. Their music was blaring and a group of teenagers got out of the car. They had obviously been drinking and were laughing loudly as they climbed the embankment. Karin started the car and turned around. She headed back into town and pulled into an address she recognized. The Bennett’s lake house was adorable, even in the dark the moonlight shone just enough through the trees for her to see the little cottage style abode.

She parked her car in the driveway and walked behind the house and down to the shore line. She knew no one would think to look for her here. She sat down in the wet sand and let the water run over her, each wave like a pulsing heart beat, tempting her to dive in and never look back.

She wished she had a drink.

“Hey,” A voice said behind her. She turned and looked and there was a figure in the dark. It occurred to her to be afraid. The town was filled with transients, coming and going for weeks or nights at a time. No one would know that she’d even been here. He could do anything to her, throw her body in the lake and take her car. She would wash up somewhere else, all the evidence buried in the sand and he could slink away into the night.

“Hey, you by the water,” The figure moved closer. She watched him, but didn’t answer.

“Is that your car parked up there?” The figure asked. She could see his silhouette, and in his hand was something that distinctly looked like a gun.

So, he did want her car. He could have it. That old Taurus was due for a replacement anyway. Maybe she’d get a cool new Ferrari like Jay had.

“You can have it,” she yelled and tossed her keys in his direction.

“What the…” the figure said.

“I haven’t seen your face,” Karin yelled. “Just take the car and go. It’s paid off. I won’t report it stolen.”

“Karin?” The figure said. “Karin Anderson? Is that you?” Now, the figure was approaching her faster. He was almost close enough for her to see his face.

“No, we don’t know each other. Just take the car and go.” Then, the figure came into view.

“Troy?” Karin asked. “Troy Bennett? What are you doing out here?”

“It’s my house. I heard you pull in to the driveway and at first I thought it was just someone lost and turning around, but then when the car was still parked there I had to come and see who it was.”

“Why do you have a gun?” Karin asked.

“Because this is my house and all sorts of crazy people come and party on the beach. I keep it just in case one of them forgets what house they’re supposed to go to.” He put the gun in a holster on his waist.

“What are you doing out here?” Karin was still sitting in the wet sand, and the tide was rising. Her pants were completely soaked.

“Just sitting. I thought the house was empty, I figured no one would even notice if I parked there.”

“Why are you sitting in Lake Michigan behind my house in the middle of the night?” Troy asked, coming close enough that his feet were in the water and the bottom cuffs of her jeans were getting wet.

“It’s been a really long day. I was looking for a good place to think. I used to come out here a lot when your mom lived here. She never came out and asked me what I was doing.”

“Yeah, Mom used to cry into the lake sometimes too.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, Come on, let’s get you inside and dry. I’ll put on a fresh pot of coffee.” Troy said. Karin nodded. She was freezing.

“I just realized something,” Karin said as they started walking towards the house.

“What’s that?”

“I threw my car keys in the sand.”

Troy laughed. “I saw that. I thought it was kind of a silly thing to do.”

“Very silly,” Karin said and laughed. “I’m not in a mindset to make good decisions today.”

“Okay,” Troy said and pulled a flashlight from his pocket. “Let’s find your keys and then I won’t ask you to make anymore decisions today.”

“That sounds like a good plan.” It took Karin and Troy over an hour in the dark expanse of the beach to locate her keys. Troy patiently and persistently searched for them, and after some time, he found them.

“You’re amazing,” she said when he handed the keys to her. “Anyone else would have just given up.”

“Nah, if we hadn’t found them in the dark, I would have brought out the metal detector in the morning. We would have found them eventually.” He said.

“I still can’t believe I threw them. I don’t know what I was thinking.” Karin said.

“Well, you’ve got them back now. Let’s go have that coffee.”

“Oh, thanks, but I can’t. I have to get home. I really shouldn’t have even come out here tonight.”

“So, why did you?” Troy asked. “Come out here tonight, I mean.”

“I’ve just been really confused about some personal issues and I was frustrated and I didn’t want to be at home because it’s also work and I needed a break from both.” Karin paused as Troy opened the back door of the house and let her in to the kitchen. “Your mom and I used to sit on this back deck and talk about life. I used to think that one day I would have a place just like this and, you know, raise kids here and grow old, like your parents did.”

“That sounds like a beautiful life.” Karin looked away blushing as Troy spoke softly to her.

“Before my dad died, I used to sit on the deck and talk to him about the same things.” Troy said. “I just never found the right girl.”

“How would you know when you did find her?” Karin asked as Troy handed her a towel. “Oh, I’m sorry. I’m getting the floor all wet.”

“It will dry,” he said. “Wait here, I might have something you can wear.” Troy came back with a bathrobe. 

“It’s not great, but I can throw your clothes in the wash and then you won’t have to go home in them wet.” With anyone else, Karin would not have felt comfortable sitting around in a bathrobe with nothing on underneath, but there was something sweet about Troy, something that felt safe. She went into the bathroom and took off her clothes. She’d just slipped the bathrobe on when there was a knock at the door.

“I’m almost done.” She said.

“I was just going to suggest that you could hand me the clothes and I’ll start them in the wash if you want to use the shower the warm up.” Troy said. “I’ll make that coffee in the meantime.”

“Um, I really should be going…” Karin started to say and then changed her mind. “That’s a great idea. Thanks. I’ll be just a few minutes.” The hot water felt so good on her upper body and warmed her quickly, but it burned on her legs that were nearly freezing. When she’d finally reached a moderate temperature throughout her body, she dried off and put the bathrobe on.

“You’ve really cleaned the place up,” she said when she was out at the table.

“Yeah, at first I was going to just leave it and sell it as is. But, then, I came out here and I just couldn’t stand to see Mom and Dad’s house all a mess like that. And, I knew that Mom would be embarrassed if anyone saw it that way. So, when I thought about having it listed and having all kinds of people walking through it, I knew it would have upset her.”

“That’s really thoughtful.” Karin said. She sipped her coffee. “So, do you have it listed now?”

“No. I had the papers all signed and ready to go, but then I just couldn’t do it.” Troy said. “Like I said, my Dad always wanted one of us boys to keep the house and get married and raise our family here. I never thought it would be me, until I was out here working on the house and I just knew that I was supposed to stay here.” Troy poured more coffee for both of them. “I listed my other house with your friend instead, and I got an offer on it yesterday.”

“Oh, that’s great. So, you are going to live here permanently now then?”

“Yeah, this is my home now, and probably until I die.” Troy said. “Maybe someday I’ll have someone to share it with.”

“I know what you mean. I keep waiting for the right person, but love is so confusing.”

Find out what happens next here.

No comments:

Post a Comment