Thursday, September 22, 2011

God, What is Mine to Do?

Last Saturday, I had the opportunity to attend the Forgotten People conference at Lifebridge Church in Fort Wayne, IN. I learned a lot, but I think the most important thing that I took home was this one quote: "God, what is mine to do?"

In the context of a speech on an entirely different topic, pastor's wife, Lynne Hybels shared this phrase. She said that when she felt overwhelmed with grief and compassion for people in need, she asked, God, what is mine to do?

I am not faced with the same challenges, but my life is filled with callings.
There are so many things that I WANT to do.
I want to spend $25 an hour and drive half way across the state so my daughter can take the horse riding lessons that she wants.
I want to drive back to Fort Wayne every time there is an invitation for my daughter to see her friends there. I want to send my musical child to Juliard.
I want to help my small town to organize a Cub Scout Pack, but I also want my boys to enjoy their time in the pack their in even if it's in another town.
I want to take my fighter half way across the state so he can train and wrestle with the best.
I want to make sure that my children brush their teeth properly so that they never have another cavity.
I want to compose every lesson so that they learn exactly what they need to know, and are never confused.
I want to say yes to every job offer because they always sound so interesting.
I want to take every class that the local college has to offer, just for fun.
I want to say yes to every ladies night, writers group, and SWA invitation.
I want to attend the Tuesday Bible study, and the Thursday Bible study and the Sunday morning Bible study, and I want to help in my children's Sunday school classes too.
I want to be there every time my child sings, her sister acts, her brother wrestles, his brother wins...
for every award, every honor, I want to be there. It's why I homeschool.

But, then I can not always have everything that I want. I can't give her the riding lessons, or him the best wrestling team. I can't get her to Juliard or be in more than one place on Sunday morning.

I can't feed the hungry or clothe the poor or save the world.

There are many things I want to do that I can't.

I could feel guilty when I have to choose who's award I'll witness, or which drives I'll make, or what charities I'll support because every time I say yes to one thing, I'm saying no to everything else that wants that hour, that day, that dollar.

I can't do all the things that I want to do.
But, I can ask God, what is mine to do? I can listen for His answer, and I can try to obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment