Sunday, November 11, 2012

Second Chance November 11

The story starts here.


The doorbell rang as Karin stood in front of the bathroom mirror. She took a deep breath, reminded herself that he’s probably married, this isn’t at date, they are just old friends getting something to eat together. She gathered up all of her courage and walked out to the front door. She opened the door and was surprised to see two of Dunewood’s police officers standing on her front porch.

“Ms. Anderson?”

“Yes.”

“We need to ask you some questions about the fire at 605 First Street.” One officer said to her as he pulled out a notebook and pen.

“Okay, well, I’m sure you already know more than I do, but I’ll try to help.”

“How were you first informed about the fire?”

“Camilla, the tenant from the upstairs apartment, called and said that she had called the fire department. I hung up the phone and went right over. When I got there, the fire department was already there.”

“What else did…” the officer paused to look at his notes, “Camilla tell you?”

“When I got there, she said that she had heard the smoke alarms going off from the downstairs apartment and went outside and saw flames in the window and called nine-one-one. That’s about it.”

“So, there were working smoke alarms in the unit?” He wrote something down.

“Yes, of course.”

He wrote something else down. “Which window?” he asked.

“Which window what?”

“Which window did she say she saw flames through?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t ask.” Karin looked over the officer’s shoulders while he made another note. She saw a red convertible pull into a parking space in front of her building. She immediately recognized the driver.

Jay stepped out of his car and confidently approached her front door. He didn’t seem at all phased by the fact that Karin was standing on her front porch talking with police.

“Everything okay?” he asked.

“Sir, this doesn’t concern you.” The second officer said.

“No, I’m sure it doesn’t, but I have an appointment with Ms. Anderson and my schedule does concern me.” He said it in such a way that came across as authoritative, but gentle and the officers did not seem offended by it, although Karin feared they might be.

“We just have a few more questions for Ms. Anderson,” the first officer said.

“Ok, I’ll wait by the car,” Jay said and reached out and touched Karin’s wrist. He winked at her and said, “I have an excellent team of attorneys on my staff. If you need one, just say the word.”
She rolled her eyes and shook her head, but then she remembered what John Kinsmore had told her.

“Officers, if you don’t mind, I’d like to get something for you from my office.” The first officer, who had been taking notes told her to go ahead, and the other one put his hand on his gun holster. She found the idea that he thought she might be dangerous laughable, and she struggled to stifle her giggles.

“My apologies,” she said as politely as she could manage when she returned to the front door. “John Kinsmore is the attorney for the Marquette estate. They own the property on First Street. I’m just the property manager. Mr. Kinsmore has asked me to direct all inquiries to his office.” She handed Kinsmore’s business card to the note taker and said, “I’d be glad to answer any more questions that you have if you would just schedule an appointment through Mr. Kinsmore’s office.”

The officer looked at the business card and then back at Karin, who stood very still, hoping that she had made a wise move.

“Yes, ma’am,” he finally said. “We’ll do that.”

As the officers walked down the porch steps, Jay headed toward her.

“So, you want to go back inside and I’ll try my approach again?” he said, smiling at her.

“No, let’s just get out of here,” she said.

“You should bring a sweater,” he said. She started to ask why, but then decided to just let it be a surprise.  She grabbed her purse and a sweater jacket from the front hall and hung up the closed sign.

“Where are we going to eat?” she asked, when they were in the car.

“Unless you have some place you really want to go, I had an old favorite in mind.” He said.

“That sounds great,” she said. Karin grabbed a hair tie from her purse and pulled her hair into a braid as they headed down the avenue toward the lake. It was just after six o’clock in mid-summer on Lake Michigan and still fully daylight out. The wind off the lake blew into her face. She closed her eyes and remembered a lifetime of evenings spent near the beach.

“So, do you like the car?” he asked, interrupting her thoughts.

“It’s nice,” she said, and then nostalgically added, “But, I always loved bumping along in your old farm truck.”

“Oh.” He said, and for a moment she thought she sensed disappointment in his voice, and she realized that he’d been trying to impress her. But, then, he smiled and said, “That trip down memory lane can be arranged, but it will mean that you have to agree to go on another date with me.”

“Date?” she said. “Is this a date?”

“What would you like to call it?”

“Hmm,” She wanted to just come right out and ask him about the girl he was supposed to marry, the past ten years of his relationships and why he’d left her and then suddenly shown back up in her life. But, she was enjoying herself so much that she didn’t want to ruin it.

“Let me think it over and tell you later,” she said.
Jay parked the car near the public beach and grabbed a large basket from the trunk. Karin got out of the car and peeked into the trunk to see what he was doing.

“Do you still like picnics?” he asked.

“I love them,” she answered, wondering how he’d remembered after so many years.

“Good, then you can be in charge of carrying this,” he said and handed her a large beach blanket. They walked across the street to the city park that overlooked the beach.

“I haven’t done this in years, “ she said, leaning on one arm after she’d finished the delicious sandwich that he’d made for her. She gazed out at the horizon over the lake.

“Why not?” he asked.

“Oh, just busy with work, I suppose,” she said.

“I assume the police presence at your house tonight was work related?” he asked.

“Yeah. There was a fire at one of the properties I manage.”

“I saw an article about that in the newspaper, over on First Street, right?”

“Yes. It’s pretty damaged, I suspect, but I haven’t been allowed inside because they are still investigating.”

“Well, I wasn’t kidding when I said I can recommend a good attorney,” he said.

“I know. John Kinsmore is the attorney handling the estate that owns the house, so I directed the police to contact his office.” She said. “But, I wouldn’t have thought to do that if you hadn’t been there to remind me.”

“Glad I could help,” he said. “Not to be too nosey, but the newspaper said that a Virginia Anderson was injured in the fire… isn’t that your mom’s name?”

Karin nodded. “She’s still in the hospital. They are supposed to call me…” As she spoke, her phone vibrated. Out of habit, she automatically reached to answer it. She looked up to see that he was watching her.

“Sorry,” she said and looked to see who the call was from. She recognized Michelle’s number and let the call go to voicemail.

“Anyway, the hospital is supposed to call when she wakes up,” she said and put her phone back in her pocket.

“Do you want to talk about something else?” he asked.

“Yes, please.” She answered gratefully.

“So, you mentioned earlier that you currently have no vacant units.”

“Mmm-hmmm” Karin answered, but her attention was back on the horizon. It was still daylight, but the sky had begun to subtly change in the way it only does over water. It had been a long time since she had taken the time to watch this wonder of nature. Sitting in the grass with Jay, watching the sky begin to change was the most relaxing thing she’d done in as long as she could remember. She wanted to soak up as much of it as she could.

“I have to fly back to Chicago in the morning, and I want you to come with me,” he said.

“I can’t.”

“I promise to behave myself and have you home by midnight.”

Karin laughed. “It’s not that,” she said.

“Then, why not?”

“I have to go to a funeral tomorrow. Mrs. Bennett, a landlord friend of mine passed away earlier this week.”

“Wow, it’s really been a rough week for you,” he said.

“Yeah, it’s been full of drama, that’s for sure. But, on a positive note, I may have an opportunity to take over management of her properties for her family,” she said. “And, I took your advice and mailed a proposal for The Piermont Complex today.” He shifted suddenly when she said this and she couldn’t quite read his body language, but something seemed off.

“It sounds like you’re going to be getting a lot busier soon,” he said.

“Ugh. Enough talk about my job. Let’s talk about your work instead,” she said. “So, tell me what you do in Chicago?”

“Mostly boring stuff, lots of board meetings and investment analysis,” he said. “My grandfather invested in a variety of businesses around the country, and he managed them all from a central office in Chicago. But, Dunewood was always his home. The Lavine Township property has been in his family for generations.”

“Are we going somewhere?” she asked as he started to pack up the picnic basket.

“I’ve got something I want you to see,” he said. “A little trip down memory lane that I think you will enjoy.”

“Sounds fun,” she said and helped him gather up the blanket and other picnic items.

No comments:

Post a Comment