Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Lowest Possible Grocery Budget


Can we feed a family of 9 on $400 a month? That is the question I’m trying to answer, and it just leads to more questions. I tend to get a little obsessed over things that people tell me are “impossible” or “can’t be done”.  I want to be able to answer the question, “why not?”

Why can’t I feed my family of 9 with a $400 a month budget?

If $400 is too low, then what is the bottom? What is the lowest amount of money that we can spend?

I think of it as a challenge, sort of a puzzle. I like puzzles.

So, before we go any farther in the debate about whether or not it can be done, I need some parameters, sort of like rules for a game.

1. Nutrition. There won't be any meal plans that include "an $8 bag of shrimp today and we'll fast tomorrow." The government is in the middle of changing the guidelines for what constitutes healthy eating, due to come out in 2015. And, I know people have their own opinions about what's good for you or not good for you, but that's an argument for another day, and I need a standard now. So, we'll be trying to follow the general guidelines provided by Health.gov in 2010.  We'll also be using Choosemyplate.gov as the standard for serving sizes.

2. Inventory. Food already in my freezer or pantry doesn't count against me. I'll be using what I have on hand and purchasing items as necessary to go with my on-hand inventory. I won't be adding in the cost of items I already have into my monthly budget. Because, I'm not trying to see if I can do it for one month, I'm trying to see how low we can go on a sustainable budget. So, we'll be looking at the actual grocery receipts, but mostly working on meal plans, eating habits and recipes that save money over the long haul and can be done consistently.
For example, we currently have a membership to Sam's Club. If I buy items there, I won't be calculating the membership cost into my grocery budget because it's already spent. However, if I choose to renew the membership or join somewhere else, then I will calculate that future cost into the budget.

3. Coupons. I will be using the normal cost of items usually. I will not be considering coupon use into the budget equations unless it can be repeated on a regular basis, as with toothpaste. Seasonal sales will be considered as this can be planned into the schedule and repeated as often as the sale cycle comes around.

4. Food/Non-food. We are aiming for a monthly budget of $400. This amount breaks down into a goal of $10 per day for a total of $300-310; $2 per day for toiletries ($60 per month); and $30-40 per month for non-food kitchen supplies, like Ziploc bags, aluminum foil, etc.

5. Humans. My children help me cook, so measuring varies and waste is an issue for us. But, part of this process is to teach my daughters to be economists in their homes and teach my sons some money lessons too. So, who are these 9 people in the experiment? One adult male, one adult female (nursing an infant), two teenage girls (15&17), two preteen boys (10&12), two kindergartners (6&4).

I invite you to join me in this challenge. Not just to see if you can make it on $400, but to see 

HOW LOW YOU CAN GO!!

Send me your meal plans, daily budget busters, tricks of the frugal, and favorite budget saving recipes. 

2 comments:

  1. We are hoping to do some extensive gardening and have some chickens or ducks so that a bulk of our produce and our eggs will be relatively cheap after initial costs to set up. I have also considered keeping bees so that we have a supply of honey throughout the year.

    Beef bone marrow is extremely good for you and terribly cheap (as most people don't use it). Some butchers will even give it away for free! It can be used as a main course, or like a topping for toasts or salads.

    We always buy a whole chicken for our weekly chicken consumption. For about $9.00 I get organic, free-range chicken for all of our meals for a week AND homemade chicken broth for recipes.

    Save your veggie scraps and make those into vegetable stock for soups and other meals. You can do the same with your bones.

    Get several pots of herbs to grow in your kitchen; that way you can fresh herbs always ready without going to the store.

    Make vegetables the star of your meals. You don't need a starch at every meal or even meat. Letting go of this ideal can cut costs and even increase nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great specific tips, Dalas. Thanks for adding these. Growing some of our own food is on our list of goals too, but we've never done it before, so I'm not sure how that will figure into our budget.
    One trick with kids and veggies I've found is to keep them cut up and sitting on the table for kids to graze on.They will nibble on these easy finger foods as they get hungry and fill up their bellies with good stuff throughout the day rather than pigging out on spaghetti at 6pm.

    ReplyDelete