Friday, December 13, 2013

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent, Is it worth it?

One of my favorite books is called Your Money or Your Life. It had a profound impact on how I saw my relationship with money. It's a great text, and I highly recommend it, but in a nutshell, it boils down to this basic concept:

You are constantly trading minutes of your life for some item of value. You have limited minutes, so choose wisely.

My regular readers and friends know that I like to do experiments with frugality, it's sort of like a game to me. Someone recently told me it wasn't worth their time to make their own cleaning products, which got me thinking about how I value my time and whether or not the task is worth my time.

I'm starting with Dishwashing Detergent. It's a simple recipe that takes me less time to make than it will take me to write this blog.


The recipe is equal parts Borax and Washing Soda. Easy Peasy. I usually mix it up two cups of each at a time, since that's what  fits best in the container I use.

I'm using Amazon for pricing, even though Walmart is actually cheaper just to make comparison easy.
Borax: $9.89 for 76oz or $.13/oz
Washing Soda: $8.99 for 55oz or $.14/oz
Or I can get both of these items in a package deal here.
Combined: $16.09 for 131oz or $.12/oz

Cascade Powder, which is comparable to the product I end up with, costs $15.02 for 75oz or $.20/oz

4 cups = 32oz, so if I save $.08 per oz, then I trade my time making it for $2.56

I keep these two products on my regular grocery list so I don't spend extra time shopping for them, and I use them for other things around the house. I make dishwasher detergent whenever I notice the container is low. The process consists of grabbing two boxes from my cleaning supplies, pouring two cups of each into the container, closing the lid and shaking it up.
I open the lid back up and replace the 1Tbsp. sized scoop, then I'm done.

The whole ordeal takes less than five minutes, so if I calculate its value based on a per hour rate, my dishwashing detergent nets me a value of over $51 per hour.

That might not be enough to make it worthwhile for some people, but that's big bucks to me, so is it worth it to make my own? I'd say it sure is.

No comments:

Post a Comment