Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Insecure Extrovert (aka: The Uncontrollable Pressure Valve)

My friends post articles about introverts and how misunderstood they are. They don't talk much. It's not because they are stuck up or even shy; it's not because they are mad at you... they might even like you. They are just thoughtful. They patiently wait their turn to talk, they think about what they will say before they say it, they are okay if they never get a turn, and when they do speak, it's important.

Wow!

I'm not like that at all. I'm an extrovert, desperately waiting for a chance to talk... sometimes even talking right over the top of someone else (sorry about that).

I'm not alone all day, I'm actually surrounded by people. But, they all want to talk also.

Remember the seagulls from Finding Nemo? Now, imagine the seagulls that attack diners at beachside eateries... it's like that.
All. The. Time.

They chase me around, begging for food, and squawk "mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy..."

When I do get an opportunity to talk, I'm like a pressure valve, building up for days and weeks, waiting for someone to share with - and when that opportunity comes along, I burst. And, like a pressure valve, there is no controlling what sprays out.

I try to control it. I really do. But, I can't. Then, I go home and replay entire conversations over and over again in my head, feeling sad or stupid for the things I've said.

So, if I may, I'd just like to take this opportunity to apologize in advance for anything that I might spray on you.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I know exactly what you mean. And I miss having you around to talk to!

    ReplyDelete