Monday, June 13, 2011

Moving: Packing the knives

I'm moving.
The moving truck will be here in 23 days.
This will be the third move in three years.
I've found the best way to pack my sharp knives is to have a paper wrapper over them. 
I could buy some here, but I'm really cheap (at least that's what I've been told; I prefer to think of myself as practical, and that means I don't spend money needlessly). So, I made my own.
I've been buying the Sunday paper for the coupons lately, so I have lots of newspaper hanging around.
I wrap the paper around the end of the knife, and leave the handle out. I wrap it tightly, tape it in place, and lay it into the packing box flat.
I put the knives at the top of a box of other kitchen items. This way I will see them as soon as I open the box, and will not accidentally stick my hand into a box and get cut.
If you don't like using newspaper for packing because of the ink, you can get end rolls of blank newspaper for a few dollars at your local newspaper office. They usually have plenty of these, and they are much cheaper than buying packaging paper.

3 comments:

  1. Great tips! Have you actually bought the end rolls of blank newspaper? Any tips for how to go about asking? What department--customer service?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina, I paid $5 for an end roll a few years ago. The newspaper office (Ludington, MI) actually had them sitting in the lobby, and I just walked up to the front desk and said, "Can I have one of those?" She said, "$5" I said "Great"
    My children like to use it for crafts. It's great for making signs and banners too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful tips. A skill that need cannot be advised by experts. Thanks a lot.

    Houston Movers

    ReplyDelete